13 Sept 2012

Package Design

Our brief was to create package design for a new range of 'flavoursome' fruit juices. I decided to do the front and back of the carton as this contains the main logo, juice name and some form of institutional information.

To begin I drew up some iconography such as various fruits. I also tried drawing lots of different style typefaces. I drew all of these drawings on a very small scale in the hope to enlarge them later in Photoshop, as this would bring out any of the imperfections or 'slips of the pen', adding a hand drawn element to the design.

Another reason why I drew multiple types/ designs of fruit was that I aimed to put it into some form of pattern later on, for either the whole packaging or just an element of it.

Original fine liner drawings
I then tried some 'scratchy' drawings using a fineliner, and then applied colour in Photoshop. 

I then tried developing a pattern in Photoshop


The problem with the 'scratchy' drawings was that the black outlining looked very dark, and not fresh (as fruit should be seen). Because the product was fruit juice I refined this idea, stripping away the black outlines, leaving a very clean and minimalistic image that was more appropriate. 

I also experimented with paint splashes and different typography, refining the images I created originally until I came to my finished design. I also added a website, weight and recycling symbol to remain better in-keeping with pre-existing packaging found in the shops today.

Finished package design

No comments:

Post a Comment